Monday, February 16, 2015

Summer

With every passing grey day in England I find myself looking forward to summer time more and more. It's a very English thing to spend all winter complaining about the cold (it's not that cold, ask someone from the East Coast!) and the rain, and then we spend all summer either complaining about the heat or alternatively, complaining about the rain some more. Maybe this is just me, but I think the seasons can be difficult to appreciate when you live in a city because you don't see how they affect your natural environment. We complain about the rain in England, but head out into the countryside in the spring and you can see how green and lush it is thanks to all that rain. Similarly, when it's hot out the city can be a very unpleasant place to be but head out to the country and it's a few degrees cooler and a lot more enjoyable. This may be something that only Londoners will understand, but London is so big that it can become your entire existence, travelling to North London can feel like heading to a completely different city. So this summer, I'm going to pledge not to complain about the weather and make sure I get out and about and explore in but also around the city - I just passed my driving test so hopefully the wider world will be a bit more accessible!

No comments:

Post a Comment